Wealth Management for U.S. Citizens Living in Canada
Structure your Canadian and U.S. financial assets to maximize growth and minimize tax all within the context of an integrated cross-border estate plan.
CANADA-U.S. CROSS-BORDER FINANCIAL PLANNING
Cardinal Point is a Canada-U.S. cross-border financial planning firm that specializes in assisting affluent U.S. citizens living in Canada with their cross-border investment, tax, estate, retirement and financial planning needs.
Options for U.S. IRA account
holders when living in Canada
At Cardinal Point, one of the most frequent inquiries we receive is from prospective clients asking what they should do with their U.S. retirement accounts after a move to Canada. These individuals are often caught off-guard by their U.S.-based…
Complimentary White Paper:
Manage Your Canada-U.S. Cross-Border Lifestyle
Whether you are transitioning residency between Canada and the U.S. or you have already made the move, it is important to understand the benefits of a cross-border financial plan. Learn how Cardinal Point can help when holding investment assets or financial interests in the U.S. or Canada.
Moving to Canada?
As an American moving to Canada, it’s important to make sure your financial affairs are structured properly to avoid double taxation issues and ensure compliance with the laws of both countries. Our specialists can advise on a broad array of tax issues specific to Americans living in Canada, including:
- Steps to take to reduce taxes before becoming a resident of Canada
- Additional U.S. tax filing requirements once you move to Canada
- Necessary modifications to make your U.S. estate plan valid in Canada
- Advice and oversight of investment accounts that remain in the U.S. and those that must be transferred to Canada based on compliance and regulatory rules.
- What to do with your U.S. stock options and restricted stock units (RSUs)
Aside from the requirement that all U.S. citizens must annually file a U.S. tax return regardless of their residency, Americans should be aware that many of the tax and estate planning strategies that worked well for U.S. purposes may not work as well for them in Canada. Likewise, tax and estate planning strategies that are effective in Canada could complicate U.S. tax and estate planning.
Need Help Managing Your Cross Border Lifestyle?
Now more than ever, individuals and their families are moving back and forth between Canada and Florida for personal and professional reasons. This creates complex cross-border investment management, tax, estate and financial planning challenges that require specialized expertise to manage.
With Cardinal Point, clients receive a personalized, integrated investment and financial planning solution that includes:
- Management of Canadian and U.S. investment accounts under an integrated platform
- Advice on specific assets that should transfer to the U.S. or remain in Canada
- Retirement planning and advice on retirement benefits such as CPP, OAS, Social Security and Medicare
- Holistic advice on cross-border financial and estate planning
- Creation of a cross-border transition and exit strategy between Canada and the U.S.
- Tax preparation, foreign-based account disclosures and navigating the U.S.-Canada Tax Treaty
- Assistance on cross-border asset transfers and currency conversions
- Canadian and U.S. stock option and company bonus plan advice
- Guidance on real estate and businesses located cross-border
- Health, life, disability, long-term care, business and property insurance review
Why Work with a Cross-Border Advisor?
Anyone who has tried to find an advisor who is legally licensed or authorized to provide financial advice on both sides of the U.S.-Canada border knows how difficult that search can be. Few firms comply with applicable regulations or have the appropriate structure in place. And those that do rarely have a qualified team dedicated exclusively to Canada-U.S. cross-border financial planning issues. At Cardinal Point, we are different. We have developed a service model and platform that is specifically designed to meet the needs of Canadians living in the United States, U.S. citizens living in Canada, Canada-U.S. dual citizens, and American and Canadian expatriates living abroad. Because we specialize in these areas, we have the ability to oversee all of your Canada-U.S. cross-border financial planning complexities.
Understand the benefits of working with a Cardinal Point cross-border financial advisor